Medical Nutrition Therapy is defined as “nutritional diagnostic, therapy, and counseling services for the purpose of disease management, which are furnished by a registered dietitian.”
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) includes assessing where a patient is at with diet, as well as taking into consideration medical history and readiness to change. Hawthorn’s Registered Dietitian, Jennifer Carter, RD, CDE, then creates an individualized nutrition plan with the patient. Follow-up visits can be scheduled to evaluate the plan and make adjustments if necessary.
Diagnoses that may benefit from referral for MNT
Some of the diagnoses include, but are not limited to:
- Diabetes (Type 1, Type 2, gestational diabetes)
- Weight control problems (overweight, obesity, underweight, failure to gain weight in children or during pregnancy)
- GI conditions (IBS, IBD, Celiac disease)
- Cardiac conditions (high cholesterol, HTN, CHF, CAD
- Disordered eating
- Weight loss/food aversions that result during cancer therapy
Medicare will cover MNT for Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease only. Many other insurances DO cover MNT, when ordered by a physician for a variety of diagnoses.
We ask that patients call their insurance companies to determine whether it is a covered service and how many visits are covered per year.
Referral for MNT
Appointments can be made by calling the Hawthorn Diabetes Center at 508-996-3991 x 2232.