Dr. Pope is a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist and a Fellow of the American Academy of Obstetricians and Gynecologists with a practice drawing widely from the South Eastern Massachusetts and Eastern Rhode Island regions. He is a long standing medical staff member and past Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology at St. Luke’s Hospital of Southcoast Hospitals in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
He is in private group practice at Hawthorn Medical Associates and a member of the medical staff at Women and Infant’s Hospital in Providences Rhode Island in the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Emergency Medicine. He also serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Warren Alpert Brown University School of Medicine.
A graduate of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Pope received his Obstetrics and Gynecology training at the Tufts University School of Medicine, Baystate Medical Center. He has authored articles in noted peer-reviewed journals as well as book chapters, and has received “Excellence in Teaching” and “Outstanding Obstetrical Performance” awards from Tufts University School of Medicine. He is also a contributing medical writer for the well respected popular pregnancy website, The Bump. Most newly, he was honored with the Southcoast Hospitals Physician Recognition Award. Dr. Pope also serves as the physician liaison for the Dartmouth Massachusetts Board of Health.
Dr. Pope has special interests in Obstetrics and Emergency Obstetrical Medicine; as well as general gynecology and minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. He is an active contributing member in the following organizations and societies: American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, The Massachusetts Medical Society, and The Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- Minimally invasive gynecological surgery
- Female sexual dysfunction
Links and resources
Sex and the 50-something woman: Strategies for restoring satisfaction, Contemporary OB/GYN
When Desire Wanes, Providence Journal
Health articles from The Standard Times
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG)
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- New England Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (NEAGL)
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- North American Menopause Society (NAMS)
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Pope, Christian S., Grow, Daniel R., Cook, Elizabeth, Arny, Margaret. Influence of Embryo Transfer Depth on Pregnancy Rate. Fertility and Sterility, Jan. 2004.
- O’Grady, John P., Pope, Christian S. Vacuum Extraction in Modern Obstetrics: A Critique and Review. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 12: 475-80.
- Pope CS, Boley TJ. Successful Pregnancy Outcome With Cardiac and Restrictive Lung Disease: A Case Report and Literature Review. Jour Mat Fet Med. 2001; 10: 64-7.
- Pope, Christian S., Markenson, GR, Bayer-Zwirello, L, et al. Pregnancy Complicated by Spinal Cord Injury and History of Autonomic Hyperreflexia. Obstet Gynecol 2001; 97: 802-3.
- Pope C, O’Grady J, MD, Hoffman D. Vacuum Extraction. eMedicine Journal [serial online]. 2001. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3389.htm.
- Pope C, O’Grady J, MD, Hoffman D. Ectopic Pregnancy & Malposition of the Uterus. eMedicine Journal [serial online]. 2001. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3473.htm.
- O’Grady, John P., Pope, Christian S. Forceps Delivery. Ballieres Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. Vol. 16, No.1, pp.1-16, 2002.
- Seubert, David E., Pope, Christian S., O’Grady, John P. Use of Misoprostol in Obstetric Practice. The Female Patient. June 2002, Vol. 27; 6: 27-35.
- Pope, Christian S., Rabin, Jeanne. Urinary Incontinence: Evaluation and Nonsurgical Management. The Female Patient. Jan 2001, Vol 26; 1: 41-7.