The body’s ability to move depends on a strong musculoskeletal system. When that system is weakened because of injuries, deformities or disease, many areas of a person’s life can be affected. The physicians and staff at Hawthorn Medical Orthopedics provide evaluation and treatment for a variety of musculoskeletal problems with the goal of helping to preserve or restore a patient’s function.
For an appointment with an orthopedic specialist, call 508-996-3991.
Today’s more active lifestyle and increased involvement in competitive sports means there is more chance for injury. And while joints normally provide the body with smooth, pain-free movement, the changes experienced with aging may result in joint problems.
Our Orthopedic Surgeons—Dr. J. Mi Haisman, Dr. Matthew Kippe, Dr. Edward Klein, Dr. Helena Meyer and Dr. Roger Pocze—are experienced physicians who are skilled in treating injuries and disorders of the skeletal system, associated muscles, joints and ligaments:
- Care for disorders of the hand, wrist, elbow and forearm including carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve and tendon injury, tendonitis or overuse syndromes, fractures, tennis elbow and ganglion cysts. New in-office procedure for Dupuytren’s Disease with little or no downtime.
- Sports medicine and care for disorders of the shoulder, elbow and knee including shoulder arthritis, shoulder instability, rotator cuff repairs, and knee cartilage/ligament injuries.
- Care for disorders of the foot and ankle (including toes and heel) including pain, arthritis, athletic conditions, sprains and fractures, plantar fasciitis, tendon injuries, acute or chronic deformities such as flat and high arched feet, claw toes and bunions, as well nail/nail bed injuries.
- Joint replacements for both the hip and knee. New techniques include:
- direct anterior approach
- MAKOplasty Total Hip Replacement procedure offers more accurate placement of the hip implant with surgeon-controlled robotic arm
- General orthopedics, including arthroscopic surgery, fracture and arthritis management.
In addition, Chad Beattie, MD, provides a non-surgical approach to the treatment of musculoskeletal sports conditions. He focuses on treating the whole patient to prevent injury, improve performance and enhance overall health for child and adult athletes of all skill levels.
Dr. Beattie also serves as director of Hawthorn’s Comprehensive Concussion Clinic which offers a multi-disciplinary approach to treatment for anyone suffering a blow to the head. In addition to ImPACT computer-based neurocognitive testing, the Clinic has a wide array of resources available to treat concussions including medications, therapy and neuropsychology.
- 24/7 coverage at St. Luke’s Emergency Room and Hawthorn Urgent Care Center
- ER coverage and surgeries now also performed at Saint Anne’s Hospital
The Rheumatologists associated with the Center—Dr. Roland Chan, Dr. Gail Davidson, Dr. Michael Egan and Dr. Michael Hait—provide care for patients with diseases of the joints, muscles, bones and tendons such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and systemic lupus.
The experienced staff of Hawthorn Rehabilitation Services strives to help patients return safely and expediently to their optimum level of function. They work closely with the referring physician to ensure the patients’ needs are met.
The Physical Therapy staff has advanced education and specializes in the evaluations and treatment of patients with a variety of diagnoses including orthopedic/sports injuries, pre- and post-surgical needs, and neurological and musculoskeletal disorders.
The Occupational Therapy staff is comprised of certified hand therapists who specialize in the care of post-surgical and non-surgical shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist and hand conditions.